Saturday May 18 2013, 3:00pm
Tompkins Square Park, the destination of the parade at Avenue A and Saint Marks Place, comes alive with choreographed performances, workshops and social dance–all free to the public.
For 2013, there will be 3 stages: A Performance Stage, Family Friendly Stage and Teaching Stage. A social dance / party area will rock out in the Northeast Corner of the Park!
Announcement to Dance Groups interested to perform at DanceFest 2013:
As Dance Parade is for hobbyist and professional dancers alike, the post parade festival “DanceFest” is the “best of the parade” and is a curated event. DanceFest is comprised of both professional and preprofessional dance artists/groups who come from various backgrounds, styles, ages, and experience. This year when you register you can submit for the festival as well.
Performers who have participated in Dance Parade are eligible to participate by indicating their desire to participate through the registration for Dance Parade form online. All eligible groups will then be contacted through our DanceFest Curation Committee, chaired by Mariana Bekerman (email@example.com). Mariana and her team will then reach out, qualify and invite groups to participate based on the DanceFest themes. Groups are selected for artistic excellence as well as by their ability to present diverse performances of unique dance genres.
What you need to know & expect the day of and before:
1) No payment is currently made to performing soloists or groups
2) Expressing your interest to perform does not guarantee a slot.
3) You must be a part of the parade in order to participate in the festival. Parade is from a 10am call-in time & ends at the park around 3pm. Performances start at 3:15pm & conclude by 7pm sharp! Yes, it’s a long day & we thank you for your commitment!
4) While we attempt to cater to your needs, once you are informed that you have been selected to perform (usually, notified in early/ mid April, exact date, TBA), please make certain that your entire troupe is available for the entire day as exact time schedule will not be disclosed till all groups have reconfirmed their participation.
5) If your group was selected to perform last year & you did not show up, you will not be invited this year. No exceptions!
We do provide water but it is greatly advised that you make sure both you & your dancers have hydration & food on hand (or can always purchase outside the park). The bathrooms are in the park & we do not have changing areas. Also, since its a daytime event, there are no lights or tech rehearsal so do keep this in mind when selecting your dance(s). We have three stages (possibly four). You and your group will need to arrive to the designated stage area (you will know which in advance) fifteen minutes prior to showtime. Please, do not have us looking for you & do make certain that when you set your accounts up during registration, that you also provide your cell phone number in the case we do need to connect with you the day of.
Thank you so much for your interest and contributing your dance to DanceFest!